Thursday 30 August 2012

A record-breaking idea

"I listened to her favourite album before our date so I could see why she loved it so much" reads the headline of this print advertisement for Match.com (in white hand-scripted type, above the record - sorry about the quality of the shot, but you try snapping an ad for a dating website in a near-full tube carriage and you'll understand why.)

Ahhhh, but don't it make you go all gooey inside? From it, we, the audience, are supposed to gather that there has been a preliminary round of digital tristes leading up to the big moment when pixels will become flesh and the tentative couple will be united for real, in an explosion fuelled by days or weeks of delayed gratification. This is one of a campaign of several in which  one or other of the imaginary couple makes studious preparation for a Match.com-mediated date, focusing on that wonderfully liminal time when the potential partner still resides in the world of fantasy.

This ad, in particular (target audience 30s women), plays to the cherished illusion that a man who finds you on Match.com might actually spend hours thinking of you in advance of a date, getting to know your most intimate predilections - a taster for the intense focus he will (fingers crossed) place on your interests for the rest of your life, all going well.  So from that perspective, I'd say it's communicating persuasively with its intended - women who are desperate for love will LOVE this proposition, I have no doubt.

But I have a question - is it believable? I might be wrong, but the thought of my potential match 'boning up' (and I use the word advisedly) on my favourite toons before our date kinda creepy - like a little 'stalkery' in essence. What happens if (shock horror) it isn't the starry-eyed encounter I'd hoped for - what's the guy gonna do with all this pent-up psychological investment? Hmmmm. Let's not go there.

1 comment:

  1. When that advert was running, I took a close look at the record that was on the turntable. Turns out it was one of those cheapo "Top Of The Pops" soundalike albums. Clearly her taste in music was suspect, and you could only wish him well!

    ReplyDelete